The Modern Health Nerd Podcast, Episode #42
What’s needed to take the current movement toward more sustainable, ethical food and products to the next level? Sonalie Figuerias believes it’s a combination of consumers doing more due diligence and brands taking a 360-degree approach to solving the world’s biggest problems.
Being at the head of “the world’s leading source for APAC alternative protein industry news and reporting” gives Sonalie unique insight into many of today’s biggest climate, food and sustainability issues.
In this episode, we touch on:
- How Green Queen grew out of Sonalie’s own journey to a healthier lifestyle
- The unique characteristics of the alt protein/plant-based movement in Asia
- How Sonalie’s early experiences with the new generation of plant-based products led to a shift in focus for Green Queen
- Why Green Queen covers innovations in packaging, fashion, beauty and more in addition to alt protein
How the lack of transparency in the food industry places the unfair burden of due diligence and label reading on consumers
- How governance, transparency and accountability can have a positive impact on the food system and the climate
- The importance of developing products and policies that address food, ethical and sustainability issues from multiple angles
- The sweeping positive changes that could occur if factory farming was eliminated
About Sonalie and Green Queen Media
Serial social entrepreneur and trends forecaster Sonalie Figueiras is the founder and editor-in-chief of Green Queen, an award-winning impact media platform advocating for social and environmental change through inspiring and empowering original content and one of the world’s leading outlets for alternative protein news.
She is also the founder & CEO of Ekowarehouse, the global sourcing platform for certified organic products and the co-founder & CEO of SourceGreenPackaging.com, the world’s first global marketplace for sustainable packaging with a mission to fight single-use plastic waste.
With over a decade of experience in publishing, digital marketing, organic trade, sustainability, alternative proteins and green packaging, she is an eco wellness industry veteran with a keen eye for market trends and a sought-after international speaker and moderator, sharing her expertise on stages across Asia and beyond, including Harvard Business School and two times at TEDx.
Further, Sonalie is a global advisor at Social Ventures Hong Kong, an Impact Purpose Organization committed to re-imagining Hong Kong as a purpose-driven city, an advisor at The Remedy Project, which revolutionizes access to justice for migrant workers globally, a cause close to her heart, and she is an avid home cook and published cookbook author.
Find (and read!) Green Queen Media Online
- LinkedIn: Sonalie, Green Queen
- Facebook: Green Queen HK
- Twitter: @GreenQueenHK
- Instagram: @greenqueenhk
You may also like:
Red to Green, Season 2
Want more plant-based nerdity and industry insights? Drop your email in the box in the sidebar to get weekly updates! 👉🏻