The Modern Health Nerd Podcast, Episode #41
Can simple changes make a big difference in diet and health—not just on an individual level, but across the food industry? Mike Fata is living proof that it’s possible.
Mike has dedicated over 25 years studying and practicing natural health, starting in 1995 when he made the life changing decision to lose over 100lbs. In 1998, he founded Manitoba Harvest Hemp Foods and spend the next 18 years growing the company, finally selling it to Tilray for $419 million in 2016.
In this episode, we dig into:
- How Mike’s own health journey sparked the founding of Manitoba Harvest
- The history and growth of Manitoba Harvest
- Mike’s involvement in other plant-based and functional food companies
- Hemp’s health and environmental benefits
- Hemp’s unique—and sometimes tumultuous—history
- Using science-backed education to overcome barriers of misinformation
- The importance of choosing fresh, organically grown foods over ultra-processed products
- The trend toward brands showing more personality and realism in marketing
- How individual companies can spark widespread positive change in the food system and consumer health
Mike is passionate about sharing natural health with the world. He’s a keynote speaker and has been featured on various media countless times regarding natural health, nutrition, hemp foods, organic agriculture, sustainable business and entrepreneurship.
Mike has won numerous awards, including Young Entrepreneur of the Year (2004), Top 40 under 40 (2008), OTA Organic Rising Star Award (2016) and Top 100 Health Influencers (2017). He’s currently Chief Executive Officer of Fata & Associates, Chairman of the Board of Sol Cuisine, Director (Past Chairman) of the Canadian Health Food Association (CHFA) and investor/advisor to a portfolio of companies.
Mike is a homeschooling father👨👧👦, certified holistic health coach and avid backyard organic farmer. In his free time he enjoys coaching and mentoring natural products industry entrepreneurs, which he does frequently on Clubhouse.
Find Mike & Manitoba Online
Tasty recipes from Manitoba Harvest
You may also enjoy…
Kati Ohens of Plantcraft, episode #22
For more plant-based nerdity and industry insights, drop your email in the box in the sidebar to get weekly updates! 👉🏻