Jack Bobo: We Need Everybody to Be Making Our Food System Better
The Modern Health Nerd Podcast, Episode #39
Why haven't consumers started adopting healthier eating habits despite all the "better-for-you" options on the market?
Jack Bobo would say it's because companies don't understand how consumers think—and are turning them off with the wrong messaging.
Jack is the author of Why Smart People Make Bad Food Choices, which exposes the not-so-obvious but real drivers of our complicated relationship to the foods we eat and why it’s proven so hard to change our habits. In this episode, we dive into:
- The disconnect between plant-based messaging and target consumers
- Types of messaging that can create personal and ethical conflicts in consumers' minds
- Why combative messaging isn't the way to move the food system in a positive direction
- How to avoid opposition and backlash resulting from inappropriate messaging or positioning
- Causes of the dramatic shift in American health over the last 50 years
- Why future growth projections for alternative protein may not indicate a reduction in meat consumption
- How dietary guidelines regarding ultra-processed foods may undermine the work of the alternative protein movement
- The psychology behind bad food choices
- The importance of conveying the appropriate use case for alternative proteins
- Scaling messaging as audiences change from the startup phase through growth
- What alternative protein startups can learn from Big Food
...and a lot more! Jack looks at the food system from a unique angle and has some true gems to share for anyone who's trying to market a food product—or change their own eating habits.
Jack Bobo is the CEO of Futurity, a food foresight company that advises companies, foundations and governments on emerging food trends and consumer attitudes and behaviors related to the future of food.
Recognized by Scientific American as one of the 100 most influential people in biotechnology, Jack is a global thought leader who has delivered more than 500 speeches in 50 countries on food technology and policy.
He previously served as the Chief Communications Officer and Senior Vice President for Global Policy and Government Affairs at Intrexon Corporation. Prior to joining Intrexon, Jack worked at the U.S. Department of State for thirteen years as a senior advisor for global food policy.
An attorney with a scientific background, Jack received from Indiana University a J.D., M.S. in Environmental Science, B.S. in biology and B.A. in psychology and chemistry.
Follow Jack's Work
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jackbobo/
- Twitter: @Jack_A_Bobo
- Instagram: @futurityfood
- Why Smart People Make Bad Food Choices (on Amazon)
Want more plant-based nerdity and industry insights? Drop your email in the box in the sidebar to get weekly updates! 👉🏻